Senior High Youth Group
9th through 12th graders join a socially active Senior Youth Group that offers both community volunteer opportunities as well as social gatherings, along with yearly ski trips, mission trips and other growth experiences that fosters the Christian spirit. This year the Sr. High Youth Group will be even more active with the Sunday School and will have the opportunity to help with special events and the children’s Communion services.
UCC Boxborough has a vigorous and energized ministry for junior and senior high youth, which highlights faith development through community service and missions projects, activities, and events.
Youth in grades 6 – 12 begin the year with our annual fall retreat. Held at a camp nearby, we spend the weekend building community through outdoor leadership activities, group conversation and games, and worship.
Our youth in grades 6 – 8 meet on Sundays during worship for the GIFT Program—Growing In Faith Together. The Sunday morning sessions are led by a team of leaders. Parents are encouraged to help organize, plan and lead the service and social activities. The curriculum includes a rhythm of:
- Film viewing and discussion
- Community service opportunities such as Gaining Ground and Overlook Farm
- Ongoing outdoor labyrinth maintenance (the labyrinth designed and constructed by these youth in 2008)
- Agape services
- Some lessons from the Journey to Adulthood Curriculum
Senior High youth (grades 9 – 12) engage in year-long, hands-on community service and mission work. Highlights include:
- Volunteering at Arlington Street Church Friday Night Supper
- Participating in the Ecclesia Ministry CityReach Program
- Week-long summer mission trip*, including active fundraising activities and events
- Assisting with childcare during Sunday worship
- Youth-led coffee house evenings
Senior High Mission Trip
The mission trip is the cornerstone of our senior high youth program. Traveling for a week of mission work in July, participation has grown from 13 youth and adults in 2005, to 23 youth and adults for the 2011 mission trip. We have worked in urban, small town, and rural settings, building relationships with children through adults in the communities we’ve served, and growing in our understanding of what it means to be the ‘body of Christ in the world.’
A year-long confirmation program is offered every other year for youth in grades 9 and 10. Our confirmation program includes:
- Bible study
- Deepening our understanding of core stories of the faith, the reign of God, worship, and the rhythm of the church year
- Encountering other faith traditions through worship and conversation
- Mentor relationships with adults from the church
- A confirmation project